Setting up a MetaMask browser wallet
What is MetaMask?
MetaMask is a browser extension that allows you to use Ethereum protocols or dApps (decentralized Apps) such as Tinlake. The extension holds your private keys and serves as a wallet for ETH and ERC20 tokens, such as DAI, TIN, or DROP. Connect MetaMask to the dApp and confirm your transactions to transfer and receive tokens.
How to install MetaMask in your browser
- Go to https://metamask.io/download.html.
- Choose the browser you want to use.
- You will be directed to corresponding web store.
- Follow the steps there to add the extension to your browser.
- After setting up your wallet, Metamask should pop-up as a fox icon in your browser bar.
Connect MetaMask with Tinlake
- Connect your account.
- Click on the Connect button in the top right corner.
- Choose the MetaMask wallet in the popup.
Set up a Ledger hardware wallet
What is a hardware wallet?
A hardware wallet stores the user's private keys in a secure hardware device. To use an address stored in a hardware wallet a user needs to be in physical possession of the device. A popular hardware wallet are Ledger.
Setting up a Ledger device
Download the Ledger Live and follow the steps in the app described here.
Install Ethereum app on Ledger device
Set up first Ledger Ethereum (ETH) account. See more here.
1. Open the "Manager" in Ledger Live.
2. Connect and unlock your device.
3. If asked, allow the manager on your device.
4. Find Ethereum in the app catalog.
5. Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears
- Your device will display
- The app installation is confirmed
Configure Ethereum app
- Open the app Settings.
- Change Contract Data to
- [OPTIONAL] For older versions of Ledger, make sure Browser Support is set to
Yes. Newer Ledger Versions are supporting it by default.
Connect hardware wallet in MetaMask
- Open MetaMask by clicking on the fox icon.
- Make sure to select the correct network (
Main Ethereum Network or
Kovan Test Network) at the top.
- Click on the circle in the top right corner.
- Click on
Connect Hardware Wallet.
- A new modal opens. Select
Ledger and click
- Select the address you would like to use. Ledger already offers several autogenerated addresses to choose from.
Confirm transactions with your hardware wallet (Ledger/Trezor)
When your MetaMask account is connected to the hardware wallet you need to confirm each transaction with Ledger.
- Connect the Ledger with your computer.
- Issue the transaction.
- Confirm the transaction with the hardware wallet.